Thursday, May 14, 2009

New Jewelry On the Way!

I made this piece for my grandmother for Mother's Day this year. Isn't the pendant beautiful?
























I've decided to call the piece Hunter's Moon. Hunter's Moon is an old name for the full moon phase of October, so called because the moon is particularly bright at that time of year, allowing ancient peoples to "get their hunt on" all night long in preparation for winter. It's also known as a Blood Moon for the same reason. (As a vegetarian I find this association quite icky, yet strangely romantic. Must be my ultra-girly love of vampire stuff kicking in.)

I wish that I knew what kind of stone the pendant is made of... I purchased it at my local Michaels a few months ago. Guess now I have the perfect excuse to stop back by there and have myself another awesome bead-buying adventure. :) Until then, my best guess is brecciated jasper. I'll post the definite name of the stone later if I'm able to ferret it out.

Anyway, I'm also excited to be unveiling several new earring designs that I will be uploading to my Etsy shop sometime in the next few days. Here's a sneak peak:


This one will be called The Chestnut Fairy...


...and this pair of lovelies are two variations of a design I like to call Calpurnia. A bit of wisdom that I've picked up during my bead-ventures: Copper + Any Shade of Blue or Blue/Green = Breathtaking. Trust me, from teal to turquoise it's all gravy. Particularly if the beads used are made of clear glass or stone. There's something so elegant and antique about that color combination, which is why I named the above pair of earrings after Julius Caesar's last wife, Calpurnia. I can easily imagine a powerful woman in the ancient civilized world wearing something like those earrings. I can see it all now... the brilliant facets glinting as they dangle majestically from her ears; lounging gracefully on embroidered silk cushions, the slaves bustling about to tend to her every whim; the fresh olives and wine served on hand-hammered gold platters; the pomp and ceremony; the husband getting stabbed to death in broad daylight by his friends and co-workers... Ahem, well... nevermind that last part.

I'll be sharing more designs soon. I'm also kicking around the idea of having a Spring-into-Summer sale at my shop all next month, so stay tuned for more news on that. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Its creative and antique piece of jewelry. They are pretty in look. Its a new variations of a design.

    ReplyDelete