Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hairsticks, Take 2

As promised, I had my husband take a thirty-second film of how quick and easy it is to do this hairstyle. Without further ado, here you go!



Note that my hair is only just past shoulder length, so you don't even need uber-long tresses to pull this look off. And I did it in thirty seconds. Nice, huh?

As I mentioned in the previous post, the trick to properly securing the updo is to make sure that you're trapping the ends of the hair between the bulk of the hair (i.e., the bun coil you just made) and the scalp. The stick's role is to basically just keep your hair trapped against itself and your noggin'. Oh, and in case it was difficult to see how I was maneuvering the stick around, I simply stuck it in underneath the coil against my scalp, directed the point end to come out through the middle point (with the bulk of the coil on top of it and the last couple inches of hair under it), then flipped the stick right-side-up and pushed it firmly into place underneath all of the hair, right up against my scalp. It's really quite easy... you can see me struggling in the video a bit with the last part, but that's only because my hair is so think that I have to wiggle/muscle the stick through a little to make it through all of the hair growing out of my scalp. A note on that, actually... NEVER PUT THE BULK OF THE TENSION ON THE STICK as you weave it through your hair. Even the best and strongest wooden hairsticks are still breakable with enough force applied. Don't put the strain on the decorative beaded portion either for the same reason. Use your hand and finger muscles to maneuver it instead.

Two more pieces of advice:

1.) Don't scratch up your poor head with the tip of the stick. As I was trying to teach myself how to wear hairsticks for the first time, I accidentally did this to myself several times as I tried to make sure that I was securing my hair firmly enough. It isn't necessary to scrape up your skull just to style it properly. And it hurts!

2.) If the bun is a little too loose, just do it again. What's thirty more seconds? If it's too tight, you can either re-do it or try wiggling the stick around a little with one hand while you hold the bun securely with the other. This can often help make things more comfortable. By no means should it feel like someone's pushing the side of a pencil as hard as they can into your scalp. You will only give yourself a headache if you don't fix it.

Well, that's it. Feel free to contact me with any questions by posting a comment on this blog or sending me a message at my Etsy shop, which can be found here: www.sylvantreasures.etsy.com.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: